If you have started learning sewing, then you must learn about the various kinds of fabric available for your sewing project. This knowledge will help in creating intense projects such as free sewing patterns or wearables that uses fancy fabric to work with. Such type of fancy fabrics can be difficult for a beginner at first. It is important to learn about the different types of fabrics and find one that feels easy to work with.
What are the things that you need to consider when choosing fabric?
Pay attention to the end of the bolt, you will find some information there such as the fabric width, the kind of fabric, instructions for washing, the quantity of fabric you need, and pricing. You must take note of all these factors in the descriptions prior to putting it in your shopping cart. This will make you aware of what you actually require.
Types of Fabric
The different types of fabrics that can be chosen for your fabric work are as follows:
- Blends: Fabric that is made using several types of fibers for use on a variety of projects. Click here to read more about this fabric.
- Cotton: 100% cotton-based fabrics are widely used fabric that comes to sewing. It is best for most of the projects. Cotton fabric is available in varying thicknesses and weights. You will get them in various styles such as designer fabrics with trendy and bold prints, quilting fabrics, baby fabrics, seasonal fabrics etc.
- Cotton Voile: It is light in weight and sheer fabric, that makes it ideal for draping.
- Cotton Lawn: When compared with cotton voile, cotton lawn is a crisper fabric.
- Plush: Cozy and soft. It is ideal for pajamas and blankets for babies. It will be a little pricier than other fabrics.
- Knit: It is available in wide varieties of weights. It is stretchable and works best for garments.
- Lace: It is a decorative and delicate fabric that is a little tough to work with. It is best for accents.
- Polyester: It is a man-made fabric that is highly popular. It has low rate of water absorption.
- Netting: It is transparent in nature and best for accents.
- Silk: It is a lot delicate, slippery and light in weight fabric. Mainly used for lining purpose.
- Corduroy: It is a lot thicker and ribbed fabric that is mostly used for clothing purpose.
- Denim: This fabric weighs a lot. It does not drape or stretch well.
- Faux Fur and Fur: It can be either an animal fur or an artificially prepared fabric that resemble as an animal fur. It is a lot bulky, and can also be tough to work with.
If it is your first sewing project, you need to know about some easy and simple fabrics to accomplish your sewing project. Once you gain skills in sewing, you can go for some fabrics that require expertise. All the above information would definitely help you find your best sewing fabric material as a beginner.